Grandparenting Solo: How to Prepare for Your First Days Alone with Your Grandchildren



Becoming a grandparent for the first time is like starting a crash course in baby management. Sure, it's thrilling, but let's be honest, it can be a bit nerve-wracking. When my daughter first asked me to look after her twins, I felt a mix of pride, excitement, and underlying worry: Can I keep these little bundles out of trouble until their parents return? Is my house baby-ready? What if something goes wrong… The amount of ‘what ifs’ gave me anxiety, but I could not let mummy know this, so with confidence I said, “no problem”.

Flashback to two years ago: during the wild ride that was the COVID pandemic, my twin grandchildren were born. To put it lightly, it was not the easiest time with my granddaughter having a 10-day stint in the NICU, making my initiation into grandparenthood a rollercoaster. Fast forward, and they're finally home, my daughter and the little ones, a trio of champions. As their proud granny (aka ‘Yaya’), I was ready to dive in and be there every day, but I knew to give them space. I would go up when invited and, after a couple of months, the call came: “can you watch the twins for a couple of hours while I get some work done?” My first time alone with the kids, if I ace this, I know I will be asked again and again!

And that's the story behind this post. I want to share my top tips for grandparenting success and offer up some hard-earned wisdom to help others navigate these early days without parental backup.

Preparing your home

You would think preparing for baby visitors is a breeze, but trust me, you can never count on new parents to remember everything. So, it's wise to keep the essentials on hand, not only for your solo stints but just in case they ever show up unannounced:
  • Bottles
  • Formula/ milk (whatever floats their boat)
  • Microwavable sterilizing bags (space saving and reusable god send)
  • Nappies (oh, so many nappies)
  • Baby wipes (stockpile these bad boys)
  • Bibs and muslin cloths (for those inevitable messes)
  • Dummies (if they're fans or if parents are allowing)
  • Blankets (more is always better)
  • Spare baby grows
  • Rattles and baby toys (the more colourful and noisy the better)
  • A changing mat
  • And finally, my secret weapon - a bottle prep machine

It may seem like a lot, but these are your essentials for grandparenting greatness. There is no need to break the bank, you can hunt for deals on second-hand sites like Facebook Marketplace. You'd be surprised what treasures parents are willing to part with.
And don't forget - safety first! A few baby-proofing tweaks can work wonders. Simple additions such as a stair gate or locks for low cupboards can improve the safety of your home, giving you and their parents peace of mind when they drop off the little ones.

Setting a routine

Setting a routine is like having your own secret weapon. When my daughter first handed over the twins, I was armed with knowledge of their nap and feeding times. It felt like I was conducting a baby symphony, and by the end of it all, they were fed, changed, cuddled, and napping like little pros. I bossed it, baby! But, here's the kicker: life happens, and you should prepare for routines to go out the window.
Part of my routine was to ensure babies took their naps at the right time. This did not always go to plan, so I became a pavement-pounding, buggy-pushing granny on a mission. I must have clocked marathon miles in those early days! But hey, we grandparents are an intrepid bunch, aren't we? I would see fellow grannies and grandads and there would be the knowing nod and, at times, even full-on conversations. It made me realise that I was not alone. At the end of the day, we are all human and can only do our best.

Facing challenges: Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

You can plan and prepare all you want, but curveballs are inevitable. Case in point: the double buggy fiasco. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the double buggy through my front door. Much like trying to fit into a pair of size 10 jeans, no matter how much I squeezed and tried different angles, I could not get them inside without waking them up. As we all know too well, a baby awake before its full required nap time has been completed is risky business! So, I ended up as the neighbourhood’s proudest wall-sitter for what seemed like hours (sometimes, if it was raining, you would also see me sitting in the garage, cup of tea in hand). I did get some funny looks but, lesson learned, you can't predict it all, but you will handle whatever comes your way.
It just goes to show that, you can overthink everything, but when things go wrong, you will know exactly what to do. Over time, with plenty of practice, your confidence will grow and you will be able to face any new challenges. Remember - you have been a mum! The skills you learnt all those years ago will gradually start to come back to you and you will love the memories you are making with your grandchildren in the early stages of their life.

Top tips for those early days:
  • Purchase any essential items you need (looking for bargains where you can)
  • Prepare a space for the little things that will be kept at granny’s house
  • Get a good pair of walking shoes
  • Remember – you are a legend for looking after your grandchildren and helping mum out
  • Oh yeah, and make sure the buggy fits through your front door!

Comments