A Day Out with Grandad


                                         Me, you and grandad too!

Welcome to the world of Granny Day Care! 


Today, I'll take you through a day filled with laughter, love, and a little chaos as I embark on an adventure with my twin grandchildren and today we bring grandad out to play too.


Thursday 15th February marked a unique day as grandad decided to join the granny day care play date. 


Now, having grandad around isn't always a walk in the park, but I've learned to navigate his quirks over the 25 years we've spent together.

 

As a therapist, I understand the importance of managing triggers, especially when it comes to family dynamics. So, when grandad starts hovering around and attempting to take over my morning routine, I have to use humour to set boundaries or I would loose my shizzle and thats no way to start the day!  A little playful banter about "invading my space" does the trick, and we share a laugh as we prepare for the day ahead.


Our first challenge of the day? Getting everyone ready and out the door without losing our shizzle. From negotiating which toys to bring to playing the "socks on, shoes off" game, every step requires patience and strategic planning. But with a bit of creativity, we manage to make it to the car in one piece.


Once on the road, grandad transforms into driving instructor of the year, offering advice that I definitely don't want to hear.  I've been driving since I was 19 years old so just shut the fxxk up grandad, I don't say this out loud I've got kids in the car!!. But we (he)  survive the journey, thanks in part to my ability to keep my mouths shut and the musical game of choosing our favourite songs.  Twinkle twinkle, Daisy, Daisy and Dingle dangle scarecrow are a far cry from my pre-grandchildren playlist of Oasis, Stereophonics, The Verve, Paul Weller, but I do sneak the odd old classic in as children need good music in their life?


Our destination? The park, where we indulge in simple pleasures like splashing in puddles and collecting stones on the beach. Witnessing the joy on my grandchildren's faces reminds me of the beauty in life's little moments, there is fun and laughter to be had in those simple moment.  But as with all moments they come to an end!


As we head home for snack time, our adventure takes an unexpected turn when my grandson falls ill. He is projectile vomiting in the back of the car, resulting in emergency stops and a messy car seat and a flurry of activity to comfort him. In moments like these, grandad's calm presence and willingness to take charge prove invaluable, reminding me of the strength he can bring to the family, although I hate to admit this he is very good in a crisis.


As we return home, exhausted but grateful for the day's experiences, I reflect on the challenges and joys of Granny Day Care. Despite the occasional chaos, moments like these remind me why I wouldn't trade this role for anything in the world.


So, what will the rest of the day hold for Granny Day Care? Only time will tell, but one thing's for sure—it'll be an adventure worth sharing 

Join us next time as we navigate the ups and downs of grandparenthood

Until then, cherish the moments and embrace the chaos.

 

 

 

Comments